The history of growth and development of the college is an account of the ardent zeal and dedicated endeavour of the former rulers of Paralakhemundi for the spread of education in Odisha. This illustrious institution was founded in 1896 under the munificent patronage of the Raja of Paralakhemundi Shri Shri Goura Chandra Gajapati Narayana Deo, although the idea of the establishment began in 1894. The formal charge was given to Sri Nangu Rao, the then Head Master of M.R.B.H. School in the year 1896. In the same year the college obtained affiliation as a second grade college from the Madras University. Due to the initiative and continued efforts of our foster father, Maharaja Sri Krushna Chandra Gajapati Narayana Deo the college was upgraded to the status of a first grade college in 1936.
Originally affiliated to the Madras University and then to the Andhra University, the college had the honour of being one of the first five affiliated colleges with which Utkal University started functioning in November 1943. On the 2nd January1967 the Berhampur University came into being to which the college is affiliated ever since. On the 11th of July 1947, the management on being taken over by the Government of Odisha the college was named after its foster father and patron Sri Krushna Chandra Gajapati. Towards the end of 1948, the college was shifted from its old building to the present Morrison Extension (named after Mr. Cameron Morrison, Tutor of the Maharaja) in which it is housed today. The college has celebrated its centenary from 10th to 12th January 2001.
This College has also attained the distinction of being one of the first Lead Colleges of Odisha in 1990 and presently enjoys the reputation of being the second oldest college of the State. It has affiliation in almost all major disciplines in the faculties of Arts, Science and Commerce. From the session 1996-97 P.G. courses in Mathematics has been added to the already existing Post Graduate teaching facilities in Economics, Chemistry, Oriya, Commerce and Life Science. Besides the teaching facilities for Honours courses in Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry Botany, Zoology, Computer Science, English, Oriya, Sanskrit, Geography, History, Political Science, & Economics. The College also offers teaching in subjects like Telugu, Hindi, Logic and Home Science.
The Govt. of Orissa vide notification No.26413/HE dt.18-5-2001 had decided to restructure all the Government Colleges in the State following which the +2 classes are functioning under the S.K.C.G Junior College from the academic session of 2001-02.
Further this College, was conferred with Autonomous Status with effect from 1.4.2002, and have been NAAC accredited since 2004, by the University Grants Commission, Government of India, New Delhi, Concurrence for the Autonomy was given by the Govt. of Odisha followed by notification of the Berhampur University. Conferment of Autonomy to this second oldest college of the state fulfils the long cherished demand of the students and the public of the region. Autonomy to the college aims at imparting quality education, framing need based curricula in conformity with those prescribed by the UGC- CBCS(Choice Based Credit System) and the Berhampur University while devising its own methods of conducting examination, evaluation and publication of results under stipulated guidelines. The students’ admissions is centrally administered online by the Department of Higher Education through SAMS(Students Academic Management System). The college endeavors diligently to make the students aware of the relevance of requisite theoretical as well practical knowledge in keeping with the growing demands of the changing world.